How to care for your linens
At Mode Living, we believe that every meal deserves a well-dressed table- whether for everyday or special occasions, and that entertaining should be effortless and a pleasure for all. We keep this philosophy in mind as we create each collection.
Knowing how to care for your linens will not only prolong their lives but also will help you set up the table more easily too!
Here are some general recommendations that will help you take care of your linens, as well as some collection-specific tips:
- All Mode Living linens are machine washable (even the linens, but they need more ironing so we recommend dry-clean)
- Always wash matching linens or sets together (tablecloths and napkins) even if they are not very used, to prevent any color change in the set over time.
- Wash your linens with like colors, in gentle cycle, with a chlorine-free mild detergent in cold water. Do not use bleach, as it weakens the natural fibers and may cause discoloration.
- Delicate items (lace, linens with tassels or other embroidery) should be washed in a garment bag.
- Pre-treat stains before washing in the machine, and as fresh as possible. You can refer to our tips here to remove stains. (link to blog)
- If possible, we recommend air-drying the linens by laying them on a flat surface. This will help your linens to dry with as little wrinkling as possible. If you need to dry them in the machine, we recommend tumble dry in low heat, and until slightly damp. This will prevent the wrinkles to set in your linens, and will make ironing much easier.
- Check that your iron is clean, as mineral deposits can build up and cause stains. Empty out all the water in your iron after use.
- Follow the settings of your iron for the appropriate fabric of the linens. Pure linens will require hot setting, while poly-cottons may not need as much heat.
- Use the steam of the iron when necessary, that will give an extra help to your linens.
- Always store large tablecloths rolled, as creases may become permanent over time.
The Essentials require the easiest care: Machine wash with chlorine-free detergent, in cold temperature. The linens will come out damp from the machine; you can lay them out flat to completely dry, and just fold. You may wash them in warmer temperatures, but in general there is no need to, and if you need to dry in the machine, tumble dry low.
This collection is also very similar to the Essentials in terms of care, so you can follow those instructions. For some styles like Lima or Palm Beach, ironing will help your linens settle and stay crisper. Again, we recommend air-drying and ironing while damp.
The poly-cotton linens in this collection are easily machine washable. Check out our general recommendations for taking care of your lines. We do recommend ironing them slightly, so they maintain that lux look and feel.
While the linens are also machine washable, the tablecloths will be wrinkled once out of the machine. We do recommend air-drying, and ironing while damp. Linen tablecloths may be better suited for dry cleaning, however the napkins, placemats and runners can be easily ironed.
We recommend storing your linens nicely folded, or you may choose to hang them on hangers as well. Should you choose to hang, please check that they are evenly distributed on the hanger, and not creased.